Lawmakers Champion Legislative Approach to Regulated Medical Cannabis
Tallahassee, FL - Senator Jeff Clemens and Representative Saunders will be available to answer questions about their medical cannabis bill, the Cathy Jordan Medical Cannabis Act, which will be introduced Monday in both Chambers. The bill creates a well-regulated and controlled program that meets the needs of Floridians with disabilities and chronic conditions; it protects public safety while saving tax-payers money.
Senator Jeff Clemens and Representative Joe Saunders believe this is the year the Cathy Jordan Medical Cannabis Act goes to the Governor's desk. The proposed legislation is named after a Parrish woman who has thrived despite a terminal diagnosis of Lou Gehrig's disease more than 28 years ago thanks to her use of the cannabis plant. Cathy Jordan, president of the Florida Cannabis Action Network, along with other advocates will be present at Monday's press conference.
"We have heard the concerns of many Floridians. We believe patients who want to try cannabis as an alternative therapy with the approval of their healthcare provider should have the same option citizens in 21 other states already enjoy. This bill is about compassion first; but it also puts cannabis use into the sunshine and under the rule of law. I urge the leadership to remember many of their constituents don't have time to wait," said Jodi James, executive director of the Florida Cannabis Action Network.
The Cathy Jordan Medical Cannabis Act in brief:
• Allows therapeutic access to cannabis in a variety of forms through a variety of delivery methods.
• Qualifies caregivers who are authorized to cultivate, possess and administer cannabis for a patient.
• Sets a patient to caregiver ratio while exempting certain residential facilities.
• Assures an ongoing professional relationship between the healthcare provider and the patient.
• Allows licensed and regulated businesses to grow and dispense cannabis.
• Provides parents, working in tangent with healthcare provider, control of a minor's healthcare decision when it comes to cannabis.
• Assures the quality and purity of the cannabis commercially distributed through licensing and regulation.
• Requires security and safety protocols for distribution and cultivation.
• Requires the creation of continuing educational materials for patients and caregivers.
• Authorizes the collection of fees for permits to dispense, cultivate and manufacture cannabis.
• Sets penalties for failure to comply with the act.
WHO: Senator Clemens and Representative Saunders, sponsoring the bills;
Robert Jordan, speaking on behalf of his wife, Cathy;
Carl Petroff, speaking on behalf of his daughter with trigeminal neuralgia, nerve disorder that causes a stabbing or electric-shock-like pain.
Jodi James, Executive Director of Florida CAN; available before and after the event for interviews.
WHAT: Press Conference discussing proposed medical cannabis legislation.
WHERE: Florida Capitol, 4th Floor, Outside Senate Chambers.
WHEN: Monday, February 10, 2014 at 3:30PM.
For over two decades, the purpose of Florida Cannabis Action Network (FLCAN) is to generate public support for sensible cannabis policies and to assist in the implementation thereof; to provide a forum for the public to speak out on this issue of national social concern; to educate the public regarding the consequences of cannabis prohibition and to raise funds to promote these civic purposes.