Notice About The Bills
The bill language for HB 859 / SB 962 are similar. Information for these two bills have been compiled together below.
Cathy Jordan Medical Cannabis Act
House Bill # 859 - Medical Use of Cannabis
Sponsored by Rep. Saunders
Co-Sponsored by Rep. Rehwinkel-Vasilinda
Senate # 962 - Medical Use of Cannabis
Sponsored by Sen. Clemens
Co-Sponsored by Sen. Bullard
These bills separates medical use of cannabis from recreational use. It clearly defines a regulated system for cultivation, manufacturing, and distribution. It requires an ongoing relationship with a primary healthcare provider and registers patients through the Department of Health and Human Services.
In brief, the Cathy Jordan Medical Cannabis Act:
- Allows therapeutic access to cannabis in a variety of forms through a variety of delivery methods.
- Codifies the voters desire for a tightly regulated and controlled system.
- Qualifies caregivers authorized to cultivate, possess and administer cannabis for a patient.
- Sets a patient to caregiver ratio while exempting certain residential facilities.
- Assures an ongoing professional relationship between the healthcare provider and the patient.
- Allows licensed and regulated businesses to grow and dispense cannabis.
- Partners parents and health care providers on a minor’s healthcare decision regarding cannabis.
- Assures the quality and purity of the commercial cannabis through licensing and regulation.
- Opens opportunities for universities and medical centers to discover the next generation of drugs.
- Saves taxpayers money by deferring prosecution of cannabis patients.
- Gives patients a less expensive therapy option.
- Requires security and safety protocols for distribution and cultivation.
- Requires the creation of continuing educational materials for patients and caregivers.
- Authorizes the collection of fees for permits to dispense, cultivate and manufacture cannabis.
- Sets penalties for failure to comply with the act.