Increase Public Safety
When you regulate and control the distribution of cannabis, you improve public safety by:
- Reducing distribution points - The opposition paints a picture of a world with a dispensary on every corner. What we have right now is a half dozen or more unregulated dispensaries in every neighborhood. Dealers of illegal drugs most often work from home.
- Carding People – Under total prohibition anyone can buy cannabis from the illegal market. When you set up a system of regulation you can limit the people who buy cannabis through ID systems, preventing sales to minors.
- Controlling Supply – There is no incentive for manufactures and suppliers in an unregulated market to demand a product that is free from mold and a variety of other dangerous contaminants.
- Eliminating a cash only commodity – As long as cannabis is illegal people who sell cannabis are trading in a cash only business. Large quantities of cash leave the operation open to extortion, robbery, and they make tax-evasion very tempting.
- Establishing effective dosing protocols – Cannabis is very safe. In fact, there is no known lethal dose of cannabis; however, many people are reluctant to try cannabis as an alternative complimentary therapy for fear of taking too much or too little. Legal markets with standardized products will eliminate this issue.